Since I have been cranky about the church music, I thought I would make amends and tell you what I actually like to hear at church. Again this list will be pieces I really hear in my current parish. I am totally running down the index, so it will be in alphabetical order.
1. All Creatures of Our God and King
2. Alleluia! Sing to Jesus
3. Be Thou My Vision.
4. Crown Him with Many Crowns.
5. Faith of Our Fathers.
6. For All the Saints.
7. Go Make of All Disciples.
8. Hail, Holy Queen.
8. Holy, Holy, Holy. (the hymn not the Mass part)
9. On Jordan’s Bank.
10. Panis Angelicus. <--- I can count how few times, but it did happen.
11. Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow.
12. The Church’s One Foundation.
13. The King of Love My Shepherd Is.
14. ’Tis Good, Lord, to Be Here.
15. What Wondrous Love Is This.
16. We Walk by Faith. <-- See, I am not totally immune.
17. Ye Sons and Daughters.
There is one more that literally has two verses that you just sing over and over, but it is eluding me at the moment. I like that one too. If you have a guess, tell me.
But my very favorite of all time is Alleluia Chant Mode vi. I can't describe how happy it makes me to sing it.
What are your favorites?
I like very many of these. Quite a few are Anglican or Methodist in origin. I have a very nice instrumental "Traditional English Hymns" CD with #1 and #2, I believe. #3 I knew first in the context of Irish pub music. Love "Hail, Holy Queen." Not growing up Catholic, I learned it from Sister Act. True story. *sigh* I have heard Panis Angelicus sung very badly. I cringe when the regular choir tries to do Latin or chant. It's painful. Love #13, #15. Good list! :) I feel better now.
I grew up Catholic and I learned "Hail, Holy Queen" from Sister Act. Sigh.
Be Thou My Vision is one of my all time favorites. I like all types of Christian music- from POD to Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir and that hymn has been one of my favorites for decades.
Post a Comment